Mami, Papi, and the girls.....

Mami, Papi, and the girls.....
stories from our little corner of the world.....

Thursday, December 23, 2010

This is the last night before Christmas Eve.  I am excited.  Excited to see the girls faces as they unwrap presents in awe and wonderment from the so called "Santa" and "Baby Jesus" (to whom bring presents to the children of Venezuela and our home too).  When they leave the plate of cookies for Santa and the reindeer, and in the morning awake to a tree full of presents, and the magic of Christmas.  Little do they know in their 4 year old and 2 year old minds, that we have been experiancing the magic of Christmas all month long.  The excitement, the preparing,  the giving to others, and the sharing with friends and family. 

There are many things I am excited to give this season, but there are two things extra special.  One is a little white teddy bear for each of the girls that was bought for St. Jude's Childrens Hospital for childhood cancer's.  Although the girls don't understand, and we will never know the the families, the children, or the faces behind our donation, the most important thing of the holiday is giving.  We can never forget or turn or head from those in need. 

The second gift that I am most excited about is something personal for our family.  This summer I went to visit Grandpa in July.  After Grandma passed in March, I decided that one of the things I would like to have is Grandma's recipes.  Grandpa had no problem with this, and while thumbing through her recipes I came across a recipe for pizelle's.  I had forgotten all about how Grandma used to make these Italian cookies. It brought back a nice memory for me, and I decided that I would like a pizelle iron so I could also make these cookies for our family.  My hope had been to make them for my Dad for Christmas since Grandma was his mother.  The iron is backordered so it won't come till January.  So, I will still give a poem to my Dad that I had originally hoped to attach to the cookie box, and a rain check for some Italian cookies in January.  I look forward to giving this simple, but meaningful gift tommorrow. 

From a long time back the memories will come
As soon as you try one

Memories of a time gone by
To which we look back on and sigh

Of a person that was close to your heart
And with you from the very start

Our memories we will always hold dear
And close to our heart she will always be near

~BACC

I look forward to updating you all in January how my adventure in pizelle making goes.  I hope my Dad is touched. 



Happy Holidays from our home to yours.  Wishing you all a peaceful, healthy, and happy holiday.
~Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment