Mami, Papi, and the girls.....

Mami, Papi, and the girls.....
stories from our little corner of the world.....

Monday, August 20, 2012

End of Summer

Another summer comes to a close.  It is always with excitement of whats to come in the new school year for the kids, and sadness that our summer adventures, roaming free, and Miguel going back to work is here.  This summer was distinct in so many ways. 

It started with a wonderful visit from Miguel's parents at the beginning of June.



 Paula turned 6.  We have watched her grow from a tiny baby of 8 lbs 11 oz to a smart, empowered, free spirited little girl.  She brings Miguel and I so much joy, she pushes our buttons, she shocks us with her curiosity and interest in adult things, and we are so proud of her in everyway. 


Her beauty and grace never ceases to amaze!


Then Sara danced in her recital to Toy Story...You've Got a Friend in Me.  We watched in delight at how much she has grown, her true and sincere love of dance, her passion for the "big stage", and her love of the lights, flowers, and applause.  Beyond all the above, she takes our breath away everytime we watch her dance, and we are in awe at how far her arm has come. 



We then went on the trip of a lifetime with Grandma and Grandpa to Disney.  The girls enjoyed so much, as did the adults!


The girls loved all the "magic" of Disney.  The characters, the shows, the ice cream, and the rides...scary and fun ones!


July came and went marked by our beautiful annual trip to Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan.  We swam, we laughed, we hiked, Miguel kayaked, we ate s'mores...indulged in ice cream every night, learned about the ghosts of Sleeping Bear Dunes, made the first ever canoe trip with the girls which was a 3 hour trip...and ended with our annual summer visit to our dear friends, Emily, David, Ella, Colton, and Brigetta's house in Grand Rapids.  Our friendship is marked this year by 11 years.  Emily was with us when Miguel and I met, we were lucky enough to visit Emily and David shortly after they bought their first home, we splashed in the waters of Lake Michigan when Ella and Paula were just babies, we got pregnant at the same time with Sara and Colton, we have walked the same walk with food allergies....and here we are, I guess it's been one blessed friendship!  Thank you Emily and David for your hospitality, your patience with three little girls screaming, Sara and mine fear of dogs, and our adventures for blueberries!  Miguel still LOVES Emily's cooking and we are waiting for you to open the bed and breakfast!


We finished the summer with our dearest new addition to our family, Pongito.  I can honestly say, post bad experiance as a child, I never thought I would ever touch an animal again let alone be the owner of a dog.  But here we are, our family suddenly seems so big, and only to get "bigger" as Pongo grows into a full sized retriever!



I can say, that as all humans, there are times that we desire more.  More money, a larger home, more vacations, less work, and more material things.  And as we all do, I can say that I am no different.  But in these desires, I always remember how blessed I truly am, and how I have it all.  A wonderful husband who empowers me and the girls, who loves us dearly, and who inspires us all to find our inner passions and hobbies even if we thought we didn't have any.  I have two healthy, curious, smart, and fun loving girls who I wouldn't trade for the world.  They are truly my everything, and my whole life I wanted a sister and although I never had one, I am so blessed that the girls have each other, through the fights and all!  And now we have Pongito, we can't wait to take him camping, swimming in lake Michigan, walk the bike trails and local forest preserves and watch all of our relationships with him unfold.  Life is beautiful.  And the countdown till next summer begins!


No comments:

Post a Comment