Mami, Papi, and the girls.....

Mami, Papi, and the girls.....
stories from our little corner of the world.....

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

First Day of Kindergarten

Today was the day, the day my baby went to kindergarten.  I was both excited for her, but yet sad that she is already big enough to go to school.  I felt gracious in the special time that her and I have shared together during these early childhood years.  The opportunity to stay home with her, has been a very special gift.  I never in a million years imagined being a stay at home mom, but Paula was truly love at first sight, and now I could not imagine anything but.

I held her in my arms when she was moments old, I took her to her first story time, and her first playdate.  I witnessed everyone of her temper tantrums, her first pee pee on the potty, and the day she gave up sippy cups.  I took her to her first day of 3 year old preschool as well as stood in awe at her 4 year old preschool graduation.   I remember struggling over the ABC's, sweating over her skipping the number 7 when counting from 1 to 10, pushed her to learn her sounds, and taught her to turn those sounds into reading words.  I saw her dance her first recital, learn to doggy paddle, and do her first throw in judo.  I watched her free spirit, knowing that our world would never box her in, cryed when she pushed the boundries, watched in awe when her independance taught her something new, and could do nothing but say "only MY Paulita!". 

And what could I do but embrace this very special moment.  I told her Paulita...today is your day, and you are going to MOVE MOUNTAINS!  Today is just the beginning.  I felt a little bit nervous, but I told Paulita that there were three very special angels watching over her for me, Mommy's Grandma and Grandpa, and Papi's Abuela.  And what do I hope....I hope that she will have a very special teacher who can see her beauty, her spunk, and her uniqueness.  Who will embrace her challenges, foster her love for learning, and push her to learn more.  I hope her teacher will celebrate her bilingualism and biculturalism.  And I hope she will have fun.

So my Paulita...today is your day, you ARE going to move mountains.  We are very proud of the baby you were, the toddler you were, and the child you are going to become.  The world truly has no limits for you.  I hope you never loose your free spirit.  Here we go......



No comments:

Post a Comment